Implant Dentures – Plano, TX
Fully Replace Your Smile Securely
If you have lost all or most of your teeth, you know all too well the struggles that can come with missing teeth. Perhaps you find it difficult to enjoy your favorite foods or maybe hesitate to smile for pictures or when you are in public. While traditional dentures can help to mitigate such issues, we often recommend that patients opt for implant-retained dentures instead. To fully replace your smile securely with a functional, natural-looking result, ask our dentist about implant dentures in Plano.
What Are Implant Dentures?
Implant-retained dentures, often simply called implant dentures, are anchored in the jawbone via 4-8 small prosthetic tooth roots (dental implants). The implants help the replacement teeth remain stable during eating and speaking, which eliminates many hassles associated with traditional dentures.
There are two types of implant-retained dentures:
- Removable implant dentures: Sometimes called “snap-on” dentures, they are firmly rooted via dental implants. They use clips (bar-retained) or ball sockets (ball-retained) so a patient can remove them when needed. While these dentures need to be removed daily for cleaning, they usually only require 2-5 implants.
- Permanent implant dentures: Designed to stay firmly in place, they can only be removed by your implant dentist in Plano. Usually, 4-6 implants strategically placed in the jawbone can support a full denture for the long term. Patients like this option because it lets them forget they even have dentures. However, permanent dentures require more jawbone density.
The Implant Dentures Process
First, our dentist will need to confirm your mouth is healthy enough to support dental implants. During your consultation, they will also answer any questions you have about the procedure. After you commit to implant dentures, you’ll undergo a minimally invasive surgery, wherein several dental implants will be inserted into your jaw in precise, preplanned positions.
Following your surgery, you’ll go through a healing period that will last at least a few months. During that time, the implants will actually fuse with the bone around them in a process known as osseointegration. They will act as the sturdiest-possible base for your new teeth. Once the fusion process is complete, our dentist will design and place your beautiful new denture.
Am I a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
In general, candidates for implant dentures:
- Have lost all or most of their teeth
- Have adequate bone density and bone height in their jaw to support dental implants
- Are tired of their traditional dentures or have no desire to try traditional dentures as a tooth replacement solution
- Maintain excellent oral hygiene habits
- Want to experience the gold standard of tooth replacement
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
Some of the most outstanding benefits of implant dentures include:
- Stability. While traditional dentures require you to take certain precautions when eating, implant dentures deliver function to rival natural teeth.
- Longevity. Traditional dentures usually need to be replaced every 5-8 years. Implant dentures have the potential to last much longer.
- Bone preservation. Dental implants in Plano stimulate the jawbone and prevent the deterioration that commonly occurs after tooth loss.
- Convenience. Whether you have a permanently fixed implant denture or a removable one, it will be easy to care for your new smile.
- Natural appearance. Our dentist carefully designs implant dentures so they are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth.
Are you ready to learn more about implant dentures and how they may benefit you? Simply contact our friendly team today!